Thursday, April 12, 2012

I've been reading....

Hi!

So, lately I've been doing a lot of reading and I wanted to share with you some of my favorites,

First off is this lovely book,

                                             
                                                                             source

I loved it! Such great practical advise, not on farming so much as family and how to have everyone involved together. I just love Joel Salatin's philosophy on farming. I remember first seeing him first in the movie "Food Inc" and thinking, "that guy is smart"

Next is this little gem,

The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating

                             source

I really really enjoyed it as well. I probably enjoyed it a lot because it was written by a couple of Canadians (like me!) and in an area that I know pretty well. Most of my relatives live within the 100 mile range in this book and I have visited there many many times. I know what the terrain looks like and it was just remarkable to me that in such a lush, farm filled area, it was so hard for the authors to find and buy local food!

And finally,

Self Sufficient Life And How To Live It Updated And Expanded

                        source

which was a fantastic resource of information and had wonderful colourful illustrations. I loved this book so much, it is definitely on my "want to own" list ( I borrowed it from the library)

A few of the books I've borrowed for the next few weeks include these three;

Bioshelter Market Garden

                        source



Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers

                            source


Chicken Poop for the Soul: A Year in Search of Food Sovereignty

                              source

Yes, that does say Chicken Poop for the Soul :)
Can you tell what has been on my mind lately? I am naturally a voracious reader and since I don't have any background in farming I want to have a varied bunch of information to help me out :)

How about you, have you read any good books lately? Do you get obsessed about one topic or author and have to read everything about it/them?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...