Friday, April 5, 2013

My Favorite Farming Movies

A couple weeks ago I shared with you my favorite homesteading/farming/gardening books so today continuing in  the same vein, I thought I would share with you my favorite (so far!) farming videos. Now, these movies weren't big box office hits, they are small independent films, but I just love them for the reality that they capture, the good, the bad and the ugly of all that farming is.
Both the films are similar in idea and content, they both feature three different "small" independent organic farms in three similar areas, but the major commonality they have is that they all feature first generation farmers, meaning their farms haven't been passed down from generation to generation.
    The first film I'm going to share with you is the Canadian version called To Make a Farm featuring Green Being FarmCedar Down Farm and Littlepath Farm.  Pat and I saw this movie in a theatre last year, I really enjoyed it and Pat was suitably impressed :) You can click on the link or check out the website here. Or you can check out a preview below.








If you live in Canada, you can go to the TVO website and watch the whole thing there but apparently it doesn't work if you live outside Canada.


My other favorite movie is called Small Farm Rising and it is actually the first farm related film I saw. It features Essex Farm (home of Kristin Kimball, author of The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love) it also features Asgaard Farm and Dairy and Fledging Crow Farm. You might remember from my farm book post that I've read The Dirty Life a few times and just loved it, so it was really neat to see a bit of the farm in action 8 yrs? after the book was written (the book is the story of the Kristin and Mark's first year on the farm).

So there you go, my favorite movies about farming! I love watching and reading these types of things, it gets me so inspired about doing what we want to do (although probably not as big of scale as these :)

Have a great weekend!

Disclaimer: I have not been paid or "perked" for my opinions in this post. All thoughts and opinions are purely my own. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...