Friday, December 13, 2013

Favorite Christmas Books (a repost)

This is a repost from last year, you can check out the original post with a lot more links HERE

We love Christmas books (OK we love books in general!) but we love the Christmas ones especially because they only get seen for a short time each year. I usually keep them in storage the rest of the year so that they are extra special when they come out around the end of November.  We keep them in this basket by a good reading chair in the living room so that we make sure to share and enjoy them together.


Although I have to admit that this basket is getting pretty stuffed!

Onto the books! First we have our Nativity themed books: The First Christmas,  the top one is a nice pop-up story about the Nativity and the bottom one is a "changing picture book" so both are a bit interactive. You can get the bottom one HERE.  The two on the right Room For a Little One and A Child was born I actually ordered through book orders for the kids school and Room is my absolute favorite I just love the gorgeous illustrations and it is such a sweet story. My kids love it as well as the story is told more from the point of view of all the animals in the stable and they love searching for the little mouse :)


And on to Santa books :) We got I Believe in Santa Claus last year for Christmas and though it looks boring it is a really great story about the similarities between Santa and Jesus. Another favorite is Santa's Magic Key (this version is a kindle version, not sure where you can get a hard copy).This is extra special because we got it from my Grandma and as she is friends with the author, it is a signed copy :) This is a fantastic story and has really helped me answer Gabe's question of how Santa gets in the houses of people without fireplaces (we don't have a fireplace anymore :(    As soon as he asked I pulled out all the Christmas books to find this one :) Anyways, the other two are fun, It's Santa! is a lift the flap fun one and My Christmas Treasury is filled with a bunch of different stories including Twas the Night Before Christmas :)



Snowman Books: I guess they aren't necessarily Christmas books (well The Annual Snowman's Ball and Snow What Fun are) But I like to include them in the mix :) We got these from various places, most were gifts though. The kids love Snow Bear as all the pictures of the bear are fuzzy! (Especially great for the younger set)


Since we're Canadian, we had to get the Porcupine in a Pine Tree! We got this one last year as well I think (I'm just realizing we got a lot of books last Christmas!) and we really enjoy this fun adaptation of the Christmas carol, The twelve days of Christmas. Some highlights~ Eight mounties munching, Five Stanley Cups, Four calling moose....:) it's a lot of fun. Then we have I Spy a Candy Cane~ my kids love I spy books and this one is for the 6 and under crowd. I'd love to get the bigger one as the kids are all getting bigger. And next is Teddy's First Christmas (I think Gabe is the only one who reads that one anymore :) Mortimer's Christmas Manger is a cute story and then we have The Elf on the Shelf.  Snoodle (that's our elf's name :) has been kicking around here since Dec. 1st  although he might have gotten lazy once or twice and stayed in one spot for a few days :) This is a fun tradition with kids especially if you start it when they are really young and your elf isn't lazy (or forgetful!) like ours is sometimes :) I checked on amazon but they are super expensive there so I would google other sources if you are interested and I think I saw them at Chapters/Indigo too.


And last but not least, we have The Christmas Hat and Disney's Christmas Storybook . I left these for last cause they have been around the longest :) Nyla got these from us when she was a baby her first and second Christmases and they are enduring favorites (they are well used as seen by the damaged spine from one too many drops from little hands :) I think more from all the memories of Christmas past than anything else. They are both good books though and the Christmas hat one is fun because the pages are all embossed so they feel neat.



Oops!


Such sweet beautiful illustrations.

Well I hope you enjoyed seeing our favorite books, if you want more ideas for Christmas books you can check out Memories on Clover Lane blog or The Sunny Side Up blog which are two places I have gotten ideas from in the past.
Have a great day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...