Monday, January 26, 2015

a little kitchen refresh

Happy Monday!
Last week I was telling you I went a little paint crazy so today I'm going to share the other room I went paint crazy on. Well maybe not crazy but refreshing. Before I share the pics of my house, first I wanted to share a couple of inspiration pictures of the eventual look and feel I would like in our kitchen. I'm working with a very limited budget so this is going to take awhile but I hope you enjoy coming along on this journey with me.



Grey kitchen cabinets and cool shelving can make any kitchen unique! // love the mix of modern grey and rustic wood

nancy meyers magic - it's complicated

I definitely love the open shelved, modern farmhouse/industrial little bit of Provence look about the kitchens and I love getting inspiration from seeing real chefs kitchens (a la Julia Child, Michael Smith, Jamie Oliver etc) and how they work. I have lots more inspiration  pics on my Pinterest board HERE
So, here we go with my progress so far and first off we have a picture of the "before" what our kitchen looked like on moving day just over a year ago.


And here's the "After" or I guess more like "progress"



As you can see in the photo above, I took the doors off a couple of cupboards, partly to get a more "open shelving" look and partly to try out living with open shelves to see if I like it and if it works for me and my family. And you know what? I love it, these shelves have our most used cups and dishes and bowls and it is so quick and easy to grab and put away from the dishwasher and also for guests to find what they need. I also changed out the valance for something a little lighter and brighter (spoiler alert, its actually three cute dish towels clipped up there!)


The colour I chose is a soft grey but it shows quite blue in some lights

Most of the containers and glass canisters are hand me downs from my hubby's grandma or are thrifted finds.


The really fun part of my painting spree is this chalkboard wall. One side faces the kitchen...

and the other side faces the dining area where my kids have been having a blast writing up the supper menu (and various other doodles :-)

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...